Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Baked Sweet Potatoes

Baked Sweet Potatoes

During my preparation for my contest I am limited to what I can eat. I have never been a huge fan of sweet  potatoes however I love anything pumpkin. Well I couldn't eat plain white potatoes everyday! I would go crazy! SO I decided to give sweet potatoes a try. What I didn't realize is they taste very similar to pumpkin and they are low-glycemic yet they have a nice sweet taste to them. These little gems are like candy!!!

What you need:
2 Baking Sheet Pans
Parchment Paper
Olive Oil Spray (Pam can be used too)
3lbs Sweet Potatoes (I use Yams, they are the orange ones)
Cinnamon
Popcorn Salt (optional)


Preparation:
  1. Pre-heat oven at 400 degrees
  2. Wash all your sweet potatoes and set aside. Leave the skin on as it provides additional minerals and nutrients
  3. Dry your potatoes and set aside. Do NOT wash your potatoes until they are ready to be prepped and cooked. They have a soft skin and will start to get soggy if you wash them the day before or a few hours before.
  4. Line your baking sheets with parchment paper and apply a thin coat of spray to the paper
  5. Slice your sweet potatoes into 1/2" disks. Cut across the potato and not down the lenght of it. 
  6. Arrange all your disks on the sheet pans. (its kinda like a jig saw puzzle)
  7. Apply another light spray of Olive Oil or Pam to the potatoes
  8. Liberally sprinkle cinnamon on top of potatoes.
  9. Sprinkle with popcorn salt (optional, this will pull some of the water out of the potatoes as it cooks and with the water will come some of the natural sugars. This will help with the carmelization, however I don't use the salt and mine caramelize just fine. I prefer not to add salt to things, but to each their own.)
 


 Cooking:

  1. Place both sheets of potatoes on the center racks in the oven.
  2. Cook for 40 minutes. (Leave them alone. Its hard to over cook them)
  3. Take them out after 40 minutes and flip all of them over. (you will notice some carmelization on the bottom)
  4. Cook for an additional 10-15 minutes in the oven. 
  5. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
  6. Eat them all (which is what I want to do) or place them in Tupperware for later.
 
These are amazing right out of the oven but they are just as amazing when eaten cold. I prefer to eat them cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment